Congratulations, you sold your first account! Now it’s time to deliver SEO services.
In this post, you’ll learn a proven process for delivering the following SEO services:
- SEO Assessment
- QuickStart SEO
- Monthly Services
Watch the Video
Follow a Holistic Approach to SEO
These services are part of a holistic approach to SEO. To approach SEO holistically, we break SEO into four component parts — technical SEO, content creation, on-site optimization, and off-site SEO. At Pathfinder SEO, we call these four foundational categories the Four Pillars of SEO.
By utilizing the Four Pillars system, we make SEO easier for our customers to understand.
The Four Pillars also allow us to prioritize an ongoing investment in each of these areas. With SEO, it doesn’t matter if you’re great in some areas when you’re neglecting others. You need to have a balanced approach to SEO which invests in each of these component parts.
An SEO Assessment is a one-time project to evaluate a website’s SEO starting point and create a roadmap for future growth. This assessment is not to be confused with a comprehensive SEO Audit.
SEO Assessments take a 1,000-foot view. They look at the most critical dynamics and produce an overview of new opportunities to help your customers gain traction in the search results.
Start with Communication
Communication is the backbone of every SEO service. This is more true than ever for SEO Assessments, since it’ll be your client’s first introduction to your SEO approach. We want our customers to come along on the full SEO journey. To initiate and encourage such a partnership, take the time to explain how the search engines work and why. Then, introduce your client to the Four Pillar system you’ll be following.
Evaluate the Website
Next, we want to review your client’s website and its current performance in the search engines. Organize your evaluation according to the Four Pillars of SEO. The goal is to have a complete sense of the website’s strengths and weaknesses at the end of your evaluation. Does your client have strong technical and off-site SEO, but a lack of content and on-site optimization? Perhaps the website excels in the first three Pillars, but lacks off-site SEO and thus lacks trust and authority?
Use your evaluation to create a roadmap for turning current weaknesses into new opportunities.
Final Deliverables & Next Steps
Once we’ve completed our evaluation, we need to communicate our findings to the client. This is best done over the phone, and can be supported by documentation which details your recommendations in PDF form.
Ideally, the PDF is based on a SEO Assessment template which you update and customize for each client. Pathfinder SEO subscribers already have access to such a template.
SEO Set Up / QuickStart SEO
An SEO Set Up (also known as QuickStart SEO) is a one-time project designed to jumpstart your client’s results when they’re ready to take action.
We start this project by dialing in Google Analytics, the Google Search Console, and Google My Business for our client.
Then, we dive into foundational action items which are necessary for SEO traction such as writing page titles, meta descriptions, and alternative text and improving site speed.
To complete this one-time SEO project, we review our initial results with the client and celebrate! This isn’t the end of the road, but you’ve accomplished a lot.
Now, your client is fully prepared to dive into a monthly campaign.
Pathfinder SEO subscribers can leverage our SEO Checklist when working through an SEO Set Up. This breaks the project into easy-to-follow steps with how-to videos.
Monthly SEO Services
There are three primary components to providing monthly SEO services — Communication, Reporting, and Action Items.
Communication is easy. Your goal is to maintain proactive and consistent communication via email and phone calls. This already sets you apart; effective communication is surprisingly rare.
Each month, we’ll deliver a monthly report with relevant data from Google Analytics. Pathfinder SEO subscribers can use our white label monthly reports. Another means of generating reports is via Google Data Studio. Learn how to send monthly SEO reports.
Action items will vary by client depending on which tier was chosen. We plan new action items on a monthly basis and communicate that plan when emailing the monthly report. This simply means that we give each client a list of completed action items from the previous month, along with a list of action items planned for the next.
Typical action items include:
- Creating new content. Depending on your plan, you may be the quarterback in charge while your client drafts the copy. Or you may be writing, editing, and publishing all of a client’s content yourself.
- Collaborating on link building. Our goal is to help our clients get high value backlinks via real-world marketing tactics. Learn more about how we approach link building.
- Staying current with SEO updates. For example, right now we’re working to set up the newest version of Google Analytics (called Google Analytics 4) for each client.
- Evolving SEO strategy as a client’s business evolves. For example, if your customer has a new product, you’ll want to do keyword research for that product, coach the client on keywords to integrate into the product’s copy, then dial in the page title and meta description for the new product’s webpage.
- Technical SEO maintenance. This includes regularly scanning your client’s website to check for broken links, and fixing any 404 Page Not Found errors that might pop up over time.
Pathfinder SEO has a series of lessons in the Ongoing SEO which will teach you how to approach these action items.
How to Deliver SEO Services
You don’t have to be an SEO expert to deliver high value SEO services to your clients. The ingredients for success are simple:
- Follow a tested and proven process.
- Take a step-by-step, incremental approach.
- Get regular feedback from seasoned SEO coaches.
- Leverage tools that give you the data you need without the overwhelming interfaces of most SEO softwares.
These ingredients are exactly what Pathfinder SEO delivers! A subscription to Pathfinder SEO is the perfect SEO business-in-a-box solution.