SEO is a long-term initiative. After building an SEO foundation for your client's website via a one-time initial project, it's time to invest in ongoing SEO.
There are two reasons why SEO requires ongoing effort:
1. The search engines evolve. The algorithms are constantly changing. Also, the layout of the search engine results page is dynamic. As a result, there are new strategies and tactics to ensure a site continues to meet SEO best practices and to capitalize on these opportunities.
2. Businesses evolve. A local business changes locations or hours of operation. An eCommerce site adds a new line of products. A services company launches a new offering. Your client's businesses change and we want to ensure their presence on Google continues to match their goals.
Monthly SEO services allow you to provide value and drive growth in this dynamic environment.
What to Include in Monthly SEO Services?
There are three services to include in a monthly SEO package:
- Action Items
Together, these components ensure you deliver high-value service.
Communication is the backbone of ongoing SEO.
It sets your services apart from the competition. Talk to business owners about their experience with SEO services and they'll often talk about SEO professionals who don't respond to emails or routinely meet with their customers. Even if they are receiving great service, the customer doesn’t know it. The lack of communication leaves a bad taste in their mouth about the SEO services industry as a whole.
By communicating clearly and consistently, you build trust. It also ensures that if there is bad news — a decline in traffic or a drop in sales, you and your client will have forged a partnership that allows you to troubleshoot the results together and get back on course.
Delivering a monthly SEO report is a must-do form of communication.
Powered by Google Analytics and the Google Search Console, monthly SEO reports share insight into results. This includes how organic search traffic is trending, what keywords are performing well, and more.
At Pathfinder SEO, our reports are white-labeled and can be delivered to your customer as an attached PDF or as a link to a secure webpage. Instead of sending these to your client, we send them to you. You are the quarterback of the campaign. Your client doesn't want an automated email with an impersonal feel. They want an email from you with your insights + the data to back it up.
This also gives you the opportunity to communicate to your customer what tasks have been completed and what is planned for the upcoming month. Think of this monthly email with the enclosed report as a miniature scope of work. It also is an opportunity to reach out and offer to schedule a call to take a deeper dive.
Not sure how to write this email? No problem. Lean on our template of emails to make communicating with your customers easy and effective.
Action items promote steady progress.
The final component of monthly SEO services is action items. Action items are the ongoing effort you make to steadily grow your customer’s business.
Action items vary each month. Your goal is to invest in those action items that will be the most impactful.
The action item list depends on what tier of ongoing SEO services your client selected. For example, you may have some customers that you provide a weekly or monthly blog post. Alternatively, you may only be responsible for ongoing SEO maintenance by performing tasks such as fixing broken links.
Here’s a snapshot of how you might package your monthly services:
Let’s suppose you have a client on the “Action” package. Here’s what a three-month outline might look like for their action items:
- Blog Post — One new post.
- Technical SEO — Scan for and fix broken links.
- Local Search — Update Google Maps listing + remind the client why reviews matter and how to get more of them.
- Page Content — Draft expanded content for a services page including an FAQ section. Explore current reviews and find a good review to add to this page as a testimonial.
- Technical SEO — Respond to page not found errors as noted in the Google Search Console.
- Off-Site SEO — Review client’s current partner list and look for opportunities to cross-promote businesses via exchanged links or guest blogging.
- Blog Post — One new post.
- Technical SEO — Explore Page Experience in the Google Search Console. Communicate findings to the customer.
- On-Site SEO — Expand customization of page titles and meta descriptions for the top 10 blog posts.
In this example, we are delivering each month on the core components of the SEO including technical SEO, content, on-site optimization, and off-site SEO. We rotate our prioritization based on the needs of the site.
Action items can be grouped into these categories:
- Technical SEO: Continual optimization for speed, responding to page not found errors, fixing broken links.
- Content: Ongoing content strategy, production, and publishing.
- On-Site SEO: Taking a deeper dive into a site to customize the on-page SEO including title tags, meta descriptions, improving header structure, expanding alternative text, and more.
- Off-Site SEO: Updating a Google Maps listing, citation building, collaboration on link building.
Most of the time, your work will be representative of these tried and true action items that accumulate over time to drive growth. Sometimes, there will be new strategies to deploy or an algorithm change that requires your attention. For example, maybe you help your client get ready for Google Analytics 4 or invest in Page Experience, both of which are timely topics right now. Because new strategies and needs can arise, we keep our action items dynamic. While you may craft a 6-month plan for a client, it’s likely something will come up which causes you to reprioritize the list.
Deliver Monthly SEO Services with Pathfinder SEO
STILL HAVE A QUESTION?
Schedule a demo to see Pathfinder SEO in action.