As you launch and scale your SEO offering, one of the most important components is packaging.
How will you group your SEO services in a meaningful way that makes your offering easy to sell and deliver?
Learn how to create an SEO services offering that includes one-time and recurring services.
Watch the Video
Use a Model to Package Your SEO Services
As you develop your SEO services offering, an important component is creating a model to package your services.
This makes it easy to consistently price, sell, and deliver your services.
The common models for SEO services include:
Our approach to SEO blends one-time services with monthly. It includes three offerings:
Let's explore each in more detail.
The SEO Assessment is for prospects who don't know where to begin with SEO. They might be new to SEO or just getting started with a new business. Others, may have been burned by another SEO agency in the past, and this project serves as a low commitment, trust building exercise.
The goal of the SEO Assessment is to identify where a site is today and to create a roadmap for growth.
- An introduction to SEO. How do the search engines work?
- An evaluation of the website. How does the website stack up in technical SEO, content, on-site optimization, and off-site SEO? What are the site's strengths and weaknesses?
- A plan. Where do we go from here? How do we turn weaknesses into opportunities for growth?
An SEO Assessment isn't an SEO Audit. An SEO Assessment is at the 1,000 foot level. It looks at the most critical dynamics and provides overview of opportunities to help gain traction and SEO results.
An SEO Assessment doesn't cost thousands of dollars. It's meant to be an on-ramp in your sales cycle. A means for a prospect to get started.
An SEO Assessment doesn't take forever. This project can be completed in a week or less.
Upon completion of the SEO Assessment, a client is ready for action. Enter QuickStart SEO.
QuickStart SEO is a one-time project to build a website’s SEO foundation. It's completed over a defined time period — one to two months is ideal.
We call this offering QuickStart SEO. You can name your offering anything you wish such as SEO Setup or SEO Foundation.
QuickStart SEO includes three phases:
Research & Planning — This phase includes tasks such as setting up Google Analytics, verifying a website with the Google Search Console, creating a Google Maps listing via Google My Business. We also invest in keyword research, competitive analysis, and content strategy.
Execution — This phase includes tasks completed in a customer's website such as updating page titles and meta descriptions, fixing broken links, improving alternative text, building an XML sitemap, and more.
Results & Next Steps — We expect to see a lift in the search results within weeks of completing the execution phase. At the project conclusion, it's time to review these results with your customer and talk about the next steps.
This project is considered an accelerator. It moves a client through the foundational, often time-consuming tasks associated with getting started with SEO.
QuickStart SEO can be completed on a live website or done in conjunction with a site that is in development. In the case of a site in development, the execution phase of work is invested in the new website.
Follow Our Process
Our guided approach to SEO includes an SEO Checklist which includes the 12-steps needed to deliver the QuickStart SEO offering.
Monthly SEO Services
SEO isn't a set it and forget it marketing iniatitive. The search engines evolve. So too does your client's business.
For these reasons, we recommend that clients continue with a monthly SEO services plan.
If you design and build websites for your customers, then you are already familiar with this model. Designing and building a website is the first phase of work. But, launching a new website isn't the end of the story. A website needs ongoing maintenance and support which is best delivered with a monthly maintenance plan.
Within SEO, QuickStart SEO is comparable to the design/build phase of a new website project. Then, we move into monthly SEO to continue to maintain and build on the foundation.
Monthly SEO services include three components:
- Communication. This is the most important factor for a successful SEO effort. To be successful in SEO today, collaboration and feedback are required. A monthly phone call is a great way to ensure you’re on the same page.
- Reporting. Each month, it's essential to deliver a synopsis of results and observations. Typically, this takes the form of emailing the client a report that integrates commentary with data from tools like Google Analytics.
- Action Items. These are the steps we’ll take each month to drive results. This is the part of the process that will be incremental. Each month’s progress will build upon previous months’ tasks and strengthen the overall SEO platform for the months (and years!) that follow. A key component of action items includes collaboration on content expansion.
Offer Tiers of Monthly Services
As we package SEO services for delivery on a monthly basis, consider offering three tiers of service:
- Awareness — This is for prospects just getting started with SEO.
- Action — This is for prospects ready to drive results.
- Accelerative — This is for prospects who want next year’s results today.
Clearly define what is included in each tier of service to differentiateyour plans:
Frequently Asked Questions
Does every prospect start with an SEO Assessment?
The SEO Assessment is not a required first step. It's meant to be an on-ramp for those prospects who want to start small.
A prospect may choose to skip this step and dive right into action with QuickStart SEO. That can be especially helpful for local businesses who may be operating on a limited budget and want to invest in action.
Does every customer continue with monthly SEO services?
Ideally, every customer continues with monthly SEO services. SEO evolves and so too does your customer's business.
We've found that customers who stop investing in SEO after QuickStart SEO come back years later frustrated that their SEO is out of date. Of course it is. It's been sitting in pause mode for a long period of time. That can be hard business to win back.
Instead, we encourage customers to think about SEO similarly to fitness. The QuickStart SEO project is the initial heavy lifting to get in shape. Once you're in shape, the effort doesn't end. But it does get easier. That's monthly SEO. Continue to maintain and build on your initial investment.
Put pen to paper and design your SEO packages.
- What names will you use for SEO Assessment, QuickStart SEO, and your monthly SEO plans?
- What will be included in your monthly plans?
Then, you are ready for pricing.