Restaurants, therapists, libraries, you name it — local businesses are facing a dynamic time. If your business’s daily operations have been impacted by Coronavirus, then it is important to update your hours of operation online. For those of you wondering “How do I change my hours on Google?” Google Maps is the place to start.
Your Google Maps listing is powered by Google My Business. Before you update your hours of operation, it is important to identify what category your business falls into:
- Temporarily Closed — If you have decided to close your business for a period of time, say the next two weeks, then you fall into the category of having a temporary closure.
- Changed Hours of Operation — If your hours of operation are changing then you fall into the category of needing to update your standard hours of operation.
- Permanently Closed — If your business is closing permanently (hopefully not), then you fall into this category.
- Combination — Your business may have a combination of a changed hours of operation and an upcoming temporary closure.
The goal when updating your Google Maps listing is to give Google the most accurate information possible. You can update this information today based on your current plans and then change it anytime as things evolve.
How to Update Hours on Google Maps
1. Log in to Google My Business.
2. Navigate to your business profile. If your business listing hasn’t been verified, you’ll need to start here to verify your listing.
3. Select Info in the left navigation bar.
4. Update your hours based on what category your business fits into:
If your business has Changed Hours of Operation, click on the section with the clock icon and existing hours. Then, edit these hours and click Apply.
If your business is Temporarily Closed, click on the section with the Add Special Hours. Manually, add the special hours for each day.
This process may seem tedious. But, we don’t want to set your permanent hours of operation to closed on Google Maps as that would be a strong signal to Google that you have shuttered your operations beyond the immediate days and weeks.
Additional Updates to Consider
- While you are in Google My Business, review all of your local business data to ensure it is up to date.
- If you use other local search management tools like MozLocal or Yext, make the same updates in those portals.
- Consider adding a Google Post with an update.
- Check out Google’s resource guide for small businesses in times of uncertainty.
Now is a good time to check in with your customers to see how today’s ever-changing climate is impacting their business operations.
Learn how to communicate with your costumes in uncertain times and be sure to update their Google Maps listings accordingly.
We're Here for You
The team at Pathfinder SEO has settled into a remote work environment and we are here for you.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions, concerns, or just to say hello. We’re grateful to our online community and enjoy staying in touch.